Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ask Matt: What Are the Most Common Trans-Related Questions You Get?

ARTICLE: The questions never stop coming, and sometimes I still get caught off guard. Because I live in this “trans world,” I forget how little people actually know about this issue, even today. The good thing is that people are asking them, which means that they want to know more.

And although we all get tired of answering them sometimes, I try to look at the positive side of being a walking and breathing Google search engine – at least people want to be educated. And this is never a bad thing.

The questions I get depend in large part on what I’m doing. If I’m in an educational role of some sort – speaking in front of a group or to the media, for example – I would say that the top ten questions are as follows (in no particular order):
  1. What does transgender mean and what is the difference between transgender and transsexual?
  2. Who are you attracted to and who do you date?
  3. How old were you when you “knew”?
  4. Have you had “the operation”?
  5. How did your family react?
  6. What discrimination/prejudice have you experienced?
  7. What do hormones do? Do you have to take them for the rest of your life?
  8. What are the health risks of transition?
  9. How did you feel when you “knew”? What was it that made you know that you were trans?
  10. What are some of the differences you see between living as a man and living as a woman?
READ ARTICLE